> Page not found. Viva! >> Vera blissful and breathless in daylight's profusion, singing through grass streets stretching seawards to the pipelines, shoves the matter deep in her coat pocket and marches, unfollowed, along cool bitumen avenues, her feet seeking skin prints in the improbably husked net. >> Brims of water and the morning, sirens from the soft ward of someone's conscience, eradicated. >> Human city of bacterial plants, filled with ripe organisms, dead organs and the ghost of a tissue, like a frozen sheet of snow, in the smudged sky, the toxic sky, called home. >> Clothe me in the colour of my departure, then sew up my eyes with city needles, urban thread. >> Dusted with a subway smear. >> We will make stories from the pork and vinegar, roll these in the plotlines of sesame and salt, dip once into the ever-changing vinegar bowl, now greasy with pork fat, picking up where we first left off, being sure also to grab in our shinin...
My friend Steve, whom I met during my first week in Seoul, has kindly forwarded me some snaps he took during that time. It seems so long ago now - the days were insufferably hot and the evenings were beer-soaked. I tell you, it's hard to enjoy a beer in this town when the temperature's down to zero degrees celsius at night. And it's not even winter yet. Yikes. Anyway, please consider ... Steve (second from left), Fatso the Wombat (second from right) and Juergen from Austria (far right) get jiggy with some locals in a gay bar in Insadong, after drinking two large jugs of lemon soju. Don't ask. The offending liquor, which tasted like lemon cordial but which rendered us technically blind before we even left the building. Wall menu in a Jongno restaurant where we ate raw meat. As if we could tell what we were getting! I'm not sure if the yellow duck was also on the bill. Ha ha! Juergen and Fatso take a well-earned beer break after slaving over a George Foreman grill pac...
Hello, welcome to the PC Bangs website and my apologies for the delay in getting things started. I have now been in Seoul for what seems like an eternity but which has actually only been two weeks. Over time, I hope to describe some of the aspects of Korea's unique 'PC Bang' culture. Here, 'bang' is a word that means something like 'room' so 'PC Bang' translates roughly as 'computer room' or, more helpfully, 'internet cafe'. Over the course of the next four months I'll be visiting various examples of the PC Bang phenomenon and hopefully taking some pictures of the really cool signwork they have here (you can see an example on the top right of this page). First things first, though. I arrived at Incheon International on Saturday 27 August on a hot and muggy day. The only thing that I can really remember about the airport is seeing a sign reading "Gateway To Asia" and thinking - hang on, isn't that Darwin's claim ...
Comments